- This event has passed.
Science in Your Neighborhood
Mar 10 at 12:30 pm - 1:00 pm
Our overarching goal is to look at the wide array of publicly available data to offer ideas on how science and scientists can lend input to key challenges the City faces. We will present our recent efforts to overlay various sources of City data to gain a more detailed understanding of science policy issues across NYC’s 59 community districts. Some of the key issues we focus on, but are not limited to, include climate change, sanitation, composting, air quality, access to clean water, STEM & broadband access, etc. Our analysis gives more of an overview of the relative impact of these issues on each community board district than a detailed review of any of them in particular.
Our event will cover:
1. An overview of the creation of our map, including the “how” and “why.”
2. A walk-through of the map, highlighting “lessons learned.”
3. A case study in using the map to address local science policy issues.
4. How this type of analysis can be applied going forward.
5. The value we think scientists can add to local policy.
6. Ideas for how to build policy engagement with NYC’s local scientific community.